Friday, November 12, 2010

Some shiny new things, a tatted heart and a contest

The other day I got my first Tatsy shuttles. I ordered them from Snowgoose. I have seen on InTatters that some people have had some trouble with this store, but apart from one small issue, I had no problems with the man. The issue was that the store has listed this shuttle, which I really really wanted (and it was the main reason why I made the order in the first place), but I got an e-mail saying they are no longer available. Boo hoo :( Does anyone know where to get one or two of these? 

(Picture borrowed from the site) 

I've seen them around on people's blogs and wanted one for a long time...

Anyway, along with the unavailable Inox I ordered some Tatsys (Tatsies?) because I decided it was time I tried them out. I opened my package (a really cute little box that was just barely big enough), and my mouth just fell open... I have seen the size of these things on pictures, but when I held one in my hand I could only laugh! 




Seriously, how can anyone tat with these monsters? I think perhaps they can be good for tatting with rope or something :p Though I must admit, I bought them because I figured they would be good to use as ball shuttles, especially when the pattern requires the use of two shuttles only for small portions.

Also in the package was this little plain shuttle:
I had this in my shopping cart at one point, but I was so sure I had changed my mind and removed it before placing the order. Apparently I didn't :p On the site it's named "Perlac", but I think I've seen it labeled as something else on other sites. Who knows? Many different producers make the same shuttles in different countries, so...

And I've finished tatting something! A heart from Mary Konior's Tatting with Visual Patterns:


It has taken me a long time to do this, because I found it a bit confusing and frustrating. Why can't she put in the pattern when you need two shuttles? I started this when I was waiting at the doctor's office, and I only had one shuttle with me, so I had to do the shoelace thing to change directions of the chains, which made the chains all wonky and twisty :/ It just will not lay flat... The thread is Puppets Eldorado, size 20-ish in dark red.

Finally I have started a new project (surprise!). There is a contest on IsDihara's blog, where you are to decorate a chocolate box with tatting. The prize is 25 balls of Lizbeth of your own choice from Handy Hands, and the shipping is free! That is just too good to pass up, so I've decided to give it a go. I have found a suitable box and covered it with decoupage, now I just need to figure out what to tat. More about my entry later... By the way, HERE is the original post about the contest. Good luck, if you should choose to enter :)

2 comments:

  1. Large shuttles make great ball thread carriers. I learned with a large red tatsy shuttle and a ball of #10 blue and white thread. That is how I learned to see the workings of the 'flip'. Taught myself from a book without photos. LOL A while ago, I must admit.

    Mary's books were written back when people didn't usually give so much notation. Now days most designers give more information.
    Any time you see a pattern with rings and chains you can use two shuttles. I actually prefer using two shuttles when I travel; that way, no loose balls escaping!

    Enjoy reading your discoveries and 'new' things…
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to try this big shuttle, I think it can be good with lots of beads
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with ThumbnailsLinkWithin