My mother requested a bookmark for a book she was reading this summer, and I made her this simple bookmark from the Learn to Tat book:
It's a very easy pattern, but naturally I ran out of pink thread and I had to improvise the end... Despite the easy pattern it took me several days to complete, even though I made it a lot shorter than it's supposed to be. My mother was halfway through the book by the time I was done :p The thread is two different brands of size 20.
One of the first pattern books I bought was Dianna Stevens's Animal Bookmarks - A Tatted Zoo. It has lots of wonderful animal patterns, ranging from (fairly) easy to complicated. I decided I'd start with one of the easier patterns - the Alligator bookmark :) I filled two Sew Mates with green and yellow thread and started the alligator on the long bus ride back from my summer holiday, and a few days later I had made this:
I am still very proud of this one :) The hardest part was the head, and knowing which way to turn the work when doing the eye. I made an extra join underneath the gator's chin to make him less chubby, but apart from that I managed follow the pattern to the dot. Well, except that I made the body behind the back legs about two rings shorter, and I shrunk the second ring from the back of his head in an attempt to give him a neck. I ran out of green thread when I had six or seven rings left, and of course all I had had been on the shuttle... Luckily I had a practice piece lying around that I was about to throw away, and I managed to unpick most of it and use the thread to finish the alligator. Yay! Can you see that two of the yellow chains on his back are a little fatter than the rest? I almost can't :)
All in all I am pretty pleased, though I call it a crocodile rather than an alligator - I think crocodiles are way cooler :) The thread is Gjestal Maxi, a cheap crochet cotton about size 10. It's a little soft and lumpy, but it's alright for bookmarks and test projects.
All in all I am pretty pleased, though I call it a crocodile rather than an alligator - I think crocodiles are way cooler :) The thread is Gjestal Maxi, a cheap crochet cotton about size 10. It's a little soft and lumpy, but it's alright for bookmarks and test projects.
After the alligator I wanted to make another (simple) bookmark, and I came across the Thistle Bookmark pattern online. The pattern doesn't specify what colors to use, so I made it in green and pink to look like a real thistle flower. Pretty, right?
This time I actually did the stitches right, but it ended up being to loose, and it didn't look good... I finished the stem, then I attached the thread to the ouside of the split chain to stabilize it a little, and I continued to add another chain down the other side of the stem. Finally I made another small chain on the other side of the last "lump" of the green circle for symmetry. So I ended up having two ends to sew in anyway, and a very floppy join between the flower and the stem. Meh...
The pink thread is Mölnlycke Virkgarn and the green is Coats Opera, both size 20.



Wonderful bookmarks! Great improvising! :)
ReplyDeleteI love the alligator! (Or crocodile, I should say.) I've been looking for little animal patterns for a project I'm working on, and the Tatted Zoo book sounds perfect. (And I didn't notice any fat chains on that croc!)
ReplyDeleteI love the thistle bookmark too. I think it would be the perfect gift to give my sister to commemorate our trip to Scotland. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I've never made double rings, or whatever they're called in the stem, before, so wish me luck!
Great bookmarks! My grandson would love the crocodile/alligator, and I would love the thistle. I guess it's time to look through my tatting books again!
ReplyDeleteThank you! :)
ReplyDeleteJennie: The stem is actually very easy. You make one row of simple rings and chains, and then you chain back up along the other side before you finish off :) Good luck!