Friday, September 17, 2010

Lizbeth thread & a small motif

A few days ago I got three balls of Lizbeth 20 in the mail, ordered from this site. I simply love all the different colors this thread comes in, especially the variegated ones. At least from the site I'm using, the color selection is much bigger for size 20 than size 40, so that's what I ordered. I'm used to working with size 20, but I'm starting to realize that using thinner threads isn't as scary as I thought! Two balls of Lizbeth size 40 is on their way already, and at least one of them will be used for a Christmas present for my mother :)


The colors I have are #131 Vineyard Harvest, #119 Jelly Bean and #146 Mocha Swirl. Love them! Naturally I had to test the thread right away, and last night I finished this small motif from Julia E. Sanders's Tatting Patterns:


Pattern is "Oval Motif for Triangle 2" (fig. 59 on pages 25 and 27), color is Vinyeard Harvest. As usual this thing needs some serious blocking to become symmetrical :)

I has heard a lot of good things about the Lizbeth thread, but also a lot of bad, so I was really exctited to try it. I love it! It does twist a little, but so does every other thread I've worked with so far, and there's a really simple solution to that problem: drop your shuttle and let it dangle until it stops spinning :) One problem I had not foreseen, though... With the variegated thread I end up finishing the piece with ends that totally don't match the colors of the parts they need to be worked into.  I don't like to cut & tie, because that tends to unravel after a while... What other options do I have? Hmm...

6 comments:

  1. I'm a new "follower" (stalker sounds a bit ominous). I invite you to visit my blog, also. I do not have tutorials; it is just a record of my journey in tatting the past three years (I began tatting a bit earlier; but, blogging was a newer venture). There are plenty of good blogs that have tutorials ~ I'm sharing with others who are moving along from beginner to intermediate as an 'encourager.' :>)
    This piece is lovely and shows your growth as a tatter and I do like the colors very much. I have the Saunders vintage book, but am partial to Mary Konier, Jane Eborall and newer designer's pattern books. I have a really hard time understanding those old vintage patterns.
    Thank you for sharing your tatting. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome in the world of tatters! There are lots of newcomers (like me!) and we love to follow your work. You are doing great!
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all! I have so much fun tatting :) I love following your work as well, it is so inspiring! Will add your blogs to my reading list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the colors of Lizbeth thread! I really like the size 40, and I'm looking forward to getting some size 80. I've read a lot of criticism, but I love the thread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, Lizbeth 80 sounds exciting! Still very "scared" of thread that thin.. I've tried it a few times, and it's exhausting!

    BJ: Forgot to say - I agree with you about the instructions in that book. It's very different from modern writing.. I made this motif just as much by looking at the picture as reading the actual pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with ThumbnailsLinkWithin